Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Broccoli

What can I say? My kids love broccoli. I have to thank my mother for her wonderful broccoli casserole. This casserole, that I grew up with, taught my children to like broccoli. They then, eventually learned to love broccoli. The casserole is the normal cheesey, broccoli and rice casserole I think most of us know about.

My oldest didn't have a chance, I craved broccoli and guacamole the entire time I was pregnant with her.

My son, when given the choice of broccoli or candy will always choose candy. But, he does THINK about it. Seriously. He actually prefers broccoli plain and raw. This is what is funny because he LOVES ranch dressing.

Ira does not like broccoli. When I serve broccoli with a meal, which is at least a couple times a week, he will nibble at it and then eventually IJ eats it off of Ira's plate. So on the night's I serve broccoli I always serve peas, which are Ira's favorite.

I could be like Bubba in Forrest Gump and talk about broccoli...

"You can boil it, saute it, grill it, fry it. There's broccoli soup, broccoli and butter, broccoli sandwich, broccoli casserole, broccoli and chicken, broccoli and beef. Broccoli in salad...

The only time I have EVER seen Ira eat, really eat broccoli was after his first hip replacement. He hadn't eaten since the night before and it was his first meal at 4:00 in the late afternoon. I remember it like it was yesterday, big slice of ham - gone in an instant. Three big beautiful spears of broccoli - gone in an instant. I couldn't believe it. UNTIL NOW!
I have found a new broccoli casserole recipe that is great, really, really great! Ira ASKED me to make it last night and we finished it tonight. It has cream cheese in it. I know, I know, but don't be sceered. If you like broccoli, try it, if you don't like broccoli, try it. :)

Here it is:

1 bag Bird'sEye broccoli- not the spears (trust me, they are the best frozen Broc.)cooked
1 cup mayonnaise (NOT MIRACLE WHIP)
1 block o' cream cheese (Philly)
1 scrambled egg
1 cup cheese nips or cheez its
1 can cheddar cheese soup (Campbell's is the only one out there)

Cook the broccoli and set it aside. In a small pan melt the mayonnaise, cream cheese and can of cheddar cheese soup together and mix it well. Temper in your scrambled egg. Mix all together and then add cooked broccoli. Mix well then and dump it all into an un-greased 8x8 or 10x10 baking dish.
Then take the cup of cheese nips or cheez its and place them in a ziplock and crush them with the backside of a spoon. (This is the kids' fave part) and then sprinkle them on top of broccoli mixture. Bake for 30 min. Or until bubbly at 350.

Ouila!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

ooh that sound's interesting, I'm a fan of anything that involves cheese

Jenn said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm meeeeee tooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wezie said...

Rebekah has benn a vegetarian snce December. I thing she will like this. Hey, what was that cool salad you made with the corn on te cob and other huge chunks of veggies?

Wezie said...

I should have used spell-check