Thursday, June 29, 2006

Baby

Our beloved dog, my dog, Baby, is gone. She suffers no more. I am heart-broken. I think with all of this, with Ira's health, that this is about the worst, most horrible time to have to put down a dog. I came home from VBS tonight to find her breathing labored. She was obviously in a lot of pain. When we left the house at quarter to seven, she was not like that at all.

Unfortunately, she suffered a back injury about a week ago which led to paralysis of her legs right before my eyes. I sat on the kitchen floor with her tonight, she laid her head on me and then she yelped and her legs went floppy. Just like that. I don't ever want to see anything like that again, ever.

I called my dear, sweet, neighbor Linda. She has four dachshunds and is a dog lover. We have always had cats. I really did not know what to do. She told me what I needed to do and drove me, in my truck, to the animal hospital. I bawled and held my Baby all while she arched her back and panted in pain. Linda, put the hazards on, ran two red lights (no one was there) and even sped on the highway.

Poor Baby. The animal hospital people were very nice and professional. They let me push the med. It was peaceful. It was over at 1:54. I brought her home in a box. I still have a lump in my throat.

I loved this dog very much and I am very sad. She was very sweet, followed me around everywhere. Even if Ira got up before me, Baby would not move until I was up. Even if I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, she got up with me. When I got up to get Ira a drink and his medicine, she was with me. Right on my heels.

She was soft, small, pretty, vivacious, and did actual flips when I came home from anywhere. If I was ever on the computer, she sat right underneath my chair. I miss her right now.

McKenna tried so many times to get Baby to sleep with her at night. But after McKenna fell asleep, Baby ALWAYS returned to me. We only had her since January, can you believe that? I found her walking the wrong way down Risinger. She had a collar, we put up signs, went door to door, no one claimed her. I was glad we were unable to find her previous owner.

I will always remember taking her to Palo Duro Canyon and her thinking she was so tough, she only weighed 10 pounds! The night that she, McKenna and I came out of our tent to go to the bathroom and all of the coyotes that suddenly started howling... I had to DRAG her up the hill...

2 comments:

ftwskies said...

Now that we're settled in after our long vacation I'm just getting around to catching up on everybody's blogs. I am so sorry to read this, especially realizing that this is the same lil doggy we got to know on our camping trip.

:(

--Jim <><

Jenn said...

yes, sweet little palo duro doggie is gone. i am glad she got to go. she enjoyed the trip. :)