Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My President

I was so proud, that I cried. Last night's Presidential Address was so very important. I couldn't wait to hear what he was going to say about immigration. I tuned in AND taped it.

In my opinion, the immigration issue effects my home state of Texas more than any other state in the U.S. First of all, hello, it's Texas. We have the largest amount of land connected to Mexico. Second, our former governor IS the President!

I know there are going to be so many people that will speak badly about his ideas and plans to take care of this problem. But he spoke very carefully and (I can't believe I am going to say this) eloquently.

I DO NOT think that everyone here illegally should have automatic citizenship. Can you imagine? I think he remembered and stated wonderfully the fact that we are a nation of immigrants. We all have relatives that came here from somewhere. But the difference is they came here legally.

It breaks my heart to know what people go through to get here. The chance, and the dream of a new and better life. Willing to risk it to start it.

Is the plan perfect? Well, I'm sure there's room for tweaking, and I'm sure not everything will take effect quick enough. He did state several times "during my Presidency". I think deep down he knows that the next President will use this issue during his campaign to run and change things that were started by President Bush. He even mentioned this in a way in his speech.

I love that he carefully stated that those who are here illegally but working and otherwise obeying local laws, showing themselves to be good citizen candidates will be given priority. I loved that he reminded all the "haters" that most of these people ARE here working, living, worshiping and helping make us a better nation. I very much loved that fact that he stressed learning the English language as important and necessary to be a productive and more successful citizen.

And for good mention 6,000 more troops, most of which would be here in Texas, would help boost our economy.

One of my great grandmothers was Swedish, another, German, the other two were American Indian, one half one full.

One of my great grandfathers was German, another English, one Swedish, the last I'm not sure.

My great, great, great, great uncle came to America from Scotland. This particular uncle signed the Declaration of Independence.

1 comment:

ftwskies said...

You're right, Jen, he has sort of grown into the whole speechifyin' thing. He's much easier on the ears now than he was in 2002.

Personally, I think it's great that people want to come here for opportunity. I just wish they'd come legally. Otherwise, due to some precedents set by Supreme Court case law, they are entitled to draw on social welfare programs and schools without paying a dime into the system via taxes. It's kinda like being told by the authorities that you not only must allow the burgler into your home at night, but you must feed and clothe him as well.

One solution might be to lower the minimum wage. This would make it cheaper for companies to hire legal labor, and the labor market for illegals might dry up. No jobs, no aliens.

Did you know that there are already 79 different classifications of immigrants under our current system? That includes three different types of temporary worker status. Bush wants to add one more. The other 79 haven't worked, I'm curious how adding one more will solve all the problems.

What bothers me the most about this whole issue isn't the job-seekers, it's the security issue. If it's so easy for pregnant women to get across that border, just how many trained terrorists might have come in as well? Besides that, the Mexican Army has actually crossed onto US soil something like 70 times in the last decade alone to assist drug smugglers in getting past what defenses we already have. On several well-documented occassions, they actually opened fire on US border patrol!

If this were 1866 or 1906 vs 2006, we'd be at war with Mexico right now.

--Jim <><