Sunday, April 30, 2006

Recipe for Wezie

Okay, so I have been busy trying to get in some sort of a groove going since I started this job. Let's all try and remember that I have not worked in the daylight hours in nine years! Needless to say, I have TONS of laundry that needs to be done and I have still not unpacked entirely from our Palo Duro Canyon excursion (which was awesome, by the way). I wish I could post pictures like all of your smart people out there. Maggie wins my best blog contest.


Okay, here it is...

I don't know what it is called, I call it Cold Veggie Salad, but it deserves a better name than that. If you think of one, let me know. It is awesome! Hope you likey!

*Half a bag of fresh broccoli wokly ( don't know how to spell it!)

*10 to 15 baby carrots that are cut into fourths longways ( I know, but it looks pretty)

*Cauliflower, don't care how much, I don't like them so I don't use a lot

*small Red potatoes cut in quarters four to six potatoes

*corn on the cob, now this is the hard one, butcher knifed into around two inch rings. I use the frozen cobbettes that have defrosted thoroughly. Now this may seem too hard or too much, but is really makes the salad. I have done frozen kernel corn in a pinch and it tastes good and looks nice, but those corn on the cob rings, in my opinion, make the salad so unique.

1 big pot o' boilin' water! Salted or not, up to you...

I boil the potatoes first to "flavor" the water, take them out, put in open container, spread out, cool them in the fridge until entirely cold.

Then the corn on the cob, in the same water, same thing - in the fridge

Then the carrots, then the cauliflower, then the broccoli. I don't like the broccoli too boiled, little crispy so the little broccoli ball/flowers don't fall off when tossing and mixing.

The order of boiling is important as you do not want green carrots or green potatoes or cauliflower flavored carrots. See?

After everything is cooled completely, mix 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (NOT miracle whip) and one cup of Italian dressing, pour over veggies in a large container, toss gently so as not to break up broccoli and potatoes. Put back in fridge and let marinate for at LEAST a couple hours. This is even better if you add chunks or squared pieces of mozzarella or provolone cheese in it. ouila!

I got this recipe from a friend that was a vegetarian long time ago.

1 comment:

Wezie said...

Thanks! I look forward to making it. We went to the Farmer's Market today in Dallas and bought lots of good veggies...