Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Voting With The Fam


Did you vote? I sure hope so. This was an important election. We always take the kids with us and take advantage of it and make it a learning experience. This year we were in separate cars. IJ was with Ira and McKenna and McLaine were with me. As I pulled into the parking spot I started my "list" speech. You know, what not to do, say, how to act, so on, etc. McLaine asked where we were, what we were doing and so on. As I was explaining this to her, as I have to all of them each time we vote, this time I started getting emotional.
"Why are you crying, mommy?"
I had to stop talking and gather myself. I turned around and told my girls how important it is for them to vote and what it means to us, the United States and even more importantly to my girls, my biracial girls. I told them how PaPa and MamaCo couldn't always vote, how their parents never voted and how it is our responsibility.
McLaine then said, "Well, I hope you pick the right one".
While we were standing in line to put our ballots in the machine, the girls kept asking me, "who did you vote for?" "look mommy, I can see his votes" "does everyone want to win?".
So cute.

No comments: