Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Omentum


All of the sudden I have gotten even bigger. Seriously. I cannot hold IT in any longer. I have been a big girl for quite a while but have always been able to suck it in, somewhat. Of course, noone could notice that I was holding anything in, but it's what big people do. I cannot do it all now. In fact, it is painful and my abdominal muscles send up pain messages to my brain.

My big stomach changed shapes. I remember waking up one day and noticing and saying, to my stomach, "what the heck?!" During this time I was completely stressed out and either eating a whole lot, or not at all for long periods of time.

My metabolism is COMPLETELY shot. I was used to being productive at night and eating lunch at night; after nine and half years worth of night shifts.
The funny thing is, and I'm totally serious, I have been working out. I am! I have gone to the YMCA a good three to four and sometimes FIVE times a week for about five months.

Every time there is a diet commercial for Jenny Craig or NutraSystems or Weight Watcher's the girls say, "call mom, call!" It is depressing and hilarious at the same time. But not enough to laugh.

I watched an old episode of Oprah on my DVR today. It was Dr. Oz telling everyone how to lose weight, blah, blah, blah. He had this organ on the table to show everyone. It was called the Omentum. He described what it did, and why this particular sample was so big. And why that was bad.
"Mom! That's why your stomach is big. It's your omentum."

"Yes, it's my omentum! Why, it's huge!!"

At least, now I know.

7 comments:

Danny Sims said...

I'm thinking about Nutrasystem...

Did I spell that right?

Keith Hollar said...

We miss ya'll! Hope you had a good holiday season and hope we get to see you this Sunday.

Keep on exercising! If you stay in the groove then you're bound to start feeling better over time.

And don't forget about my favorite form of exercise-the bicycle. I highly recommend it. :)

Anonymous said...

Tried NutraSystem... That was horrible.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've found that Lean Gourmet has some pretty tasty meals and they're comparable to NutriSystem.

Jenn said...

keith, i love biking! but i am now too fat to ride my bike. i am not able to balance. it is really quite funny. i used to ride my bike all over fort worth (those were me and Ira's first dates ;)
i do like going to the YMCA quite a bit. i like to walk there, work out, then take a taxi home. :o)

Jenn said...

ladies man, it is strange addressing you as this, lol i have a friend that does home version of nutrisystem. she has a freezer full of frozen diet breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. think i'ma gonna try it...

Neli said...

Hi Jennifer,
Don't lose hope to get back in shape. It is true that the omentum catches all the fat but the reason behind is the stress in your life. The belly fat is directly related to stress. It sure matters how much you eat and if you have some kind of physical activity (I don't say gym) but what matters the most is to sleep at least 7 hours per night and to use some kind of relaxation technique (even 5 min would do). Check out the page that I have posted on my site about food cravings and mood.
Neli from http://www.stress-fat-heart-solutions-for-boomers.com/