Tuesday, March 15, 2005

American Idol And The Truth

Here it is... My public admission that I do not watch this show. I watch sometimes. I get madder than a wet hen when I watch! Some of these people are good, but most of them sound like the typical, typical, TYPICAL artists that make money. BIG money. Cracker Jack Box performances. I crave the different artist. I do, however, like the heavy rocker contestants. Can't remember their names. I think there was a couple of them that made it to the last couple of performances. I think they are good because they have their own sound and are different.

Nikko is back. I watched tonight to hear his performance. He SUCKED! Was he nervous? Probably. Do I blame him? No. His was the only name I remember but only because he came back. He only sang four notes in the whole song. I was disappointed.

I LOVE Simon Cowell. He is honest with these people. Yes, he's rude. Yes, he says stuff that is inappropriate. I do not agree with that part of it. BUT, he does not tell these people what they want to hear in order to pump them up! Paula Abdul! What the heck is she doing on this show anyway? She can't even sing! She is gorgeous and one of the most incredible choreographers in the industry, but CAN NOT sing! Randy Jackson, Dog, okay, so he's big in the business. But sometimes he, too, is afraid of hurting feelings.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Real truth is not always what we want to hear. But sometimes it saves us from so much. I mean, haven't you ever been in an argument or maybe in a really sticky situation and pleaded with someone to please just tell you the truth? Do you think Jesus told us what we wanted to hear or told us the truth? Fortunately most of the time it was both. What about conviction? That is God's way of letting us know we are wrong. Conviction is painful, sometimes. Okay, most of the time. CONVICTION comes from God. It brings with it pain, understanding, sorrow and hopefully gives us a contrite spirit. Or would you rather have the enemy tell you what you want to hear or worst case scenario, make you feel guilty? What do you do with guilt? Just feel bad? Blame others? Sounds like the enemy to me. Guilt. Yuck. Conviction. Sorrow with forgiveness. HUGE difference.

I'll never forget the day a dear, dear friend told me that she didn't like the way I treated someone. She had prayed before telling me. She felt conviction to tell me. I felt conviction and ashamed of what I had done. I didn't realize how bad it was. I was taking advantage of this person in my life that I cannot imagine living without. Do you think that if she had come to me and told me this in a way that was not without God that I would have reacted this way? Well, yes, it was possible. I could have become defensive and blamed that person. I could have gotten mad at her! But thank GOD I heard her heart through her complaint to me. Thanks to God. I asked for forgiveness and saw the error in MY ways. I hurt her by hurting someone else, too. I had disappointed my friend. Not to mention how I made the other person feel. I received a contrite spirit and asked God to forgive me.

That truth hurt me. I was embarrassed and embarrassed. I mean EMBARRASSED! Then I was ashamed. Really, really, REALLY ashamed.

I asked for forgiveness from my Creator, my friend and the person I treated so horribly.

So I ask you, what would have happened if my friend hadn't told me the truth? You just have to believe me when I tell you that it would have been far worse than any embarrassment and conviction that I felt. I PROMISE!

3 comments:

Sher 'n Pete said...

I think Simon is great cause he is not afraid to speak his mind!~ Cool blog!

Jenn said...

okay lish, you are right. i have been watching this end of season for american idol as you suggested and you are RIGHT! i have to say i am suprised that scott has lasted as long as he has. i do love him. i wish he could get over his stage fright a little better. he needs some confidence. i am surprised also that constantine was booted!!!! cannot believe it! he got all syrupy like the cute guy did on first season, the one that was last with kelly clarkson... whatshisname???? he was good but "made love" to the camera a little too much. constantine was reminding me of that. sorry to go on too much. let me know what you think about next week!
jenn

Danny Sims said...

We love AI and SIMON is the reason why.