So, when Aunt Pat got to our house we were all abuzz with what she was going to make us for dinner one night. That was the plan, SHE was going to cook one night in our house for us! We had... Ramen Noodles! I had not even had or heard of Ramen Noodles before. They were not around and or as popular as they are now.
My Aunt Pat and Uncle Wayne had lived in Viet Nam and learned to eat Ramen Noodles. She was gonna make them for us the way they served them there in Viet Nam. We went to the store and bought the Noodles. I remember my mom and dad, my aunt and her husband Uncle Wayne, all standing in the aisle trying to convince my mom that she should try this and that the kids would like it and how delicious it was and who know? She might even like it! etc, etc. Fat chance was the look she gave them but eventually my mom relented and we had them for dinner.
The table was full of little bowls. In the bowls were leftovers. That's right, LEFTOVERS!!! My Aunt explained while cooking up the noodles that noodles were the perfect meal for families because if there was anything left over in the fridge you cut it up and put it on the table because EVERYTHING goes with Ramen Noodles!!! So very clever! There were leftover hamburger patties cut up in one bowl, some leftover cut up chicken, leftover corn and leftover various other veggies. There was also fresh or uncooked veggies like carrots and lettuce, which she shredded. One bowl even had some scrambled egg in it. My mom thought she was NUTS! Aunt Pat then cut up lunch-meat! Yes! Lunch-meat! You know, the thin sliced ham and turkey packs we used to get as kids? She sliced up the meats into very thin strips and put them in a small bowl.
When my sister and I came to the table for dinner we were so excited. There had to be about 20 bowls on the table! Each one containing an entirely different item for your delight! One big bowl in the middle had the steamy hot noodles with their broth. We all sat down adults at the regular table and my sister and I at our little children's table set up for us with our bowl, spoon, napkin and little cup. Aunt Pat and Uncle Wayne then with CHOPSTICKS picked out of the small bowls and put into their bowl different items from the table. Then from the big bowl poured some noodles and broth over their individual bowl. That is when the "cooking" ensued.
This was the part that my mom did not understand or "agree" with. She was raised with the understanding that you cooked your dinner. I remember my Aunt Pat insisting, "Elaine, its already cooked, its just cold in your fridge. The noodles will cook cook it in the bowl". This was a very big step for my mom to take. We were all relieved when she LET us have this kind of dinner. I still remember Aunt Pat saying, "Elaine, if its something you like, it will be good with the noodles, TRUST ME!"
I remember what I put in mine; scrambled egg, corn and strips of lunch-meat ham. It... was... AMAZING!!! I tried to find a picture on the internet so you could get an idea of what it looked like. The closest thing I could find was this...

But you have to imagine a lot more bowls, a kids' table to the side and just four adults. :o)








No comments:
Post a Comment