I got an email from our church telling us that they were performing baptisms on the following Sunday. I immediately asked I.J. if he wanted to get baptized and he said, YES! I am so happy!!!
This has been coming for a while. He accepted Jesus in his heart when he was three. It was the sweetest. A friend's daughter that was all of nine or ten years old was in the backseat of our car with I.J. then three and McLaine then four. She was telling them about Jesus. Of course they knew who Jesus was because, well, we go to church and pray and talk about Him at home, etc. But I was overcome when I looked back in my rear view mirror and saw how intently they were listening to her tell them how much Jesus loves them and then asked them if they wanted to accept Jesus into their heart. I remember trying to drive down Hulen and watch in the rear view at the same time. I saw I.J.'s precious chubby hands folded on top of his car-seat arm and McLaine's sweet chubby hands folded and held up to her chin. They both had their eyes closed, brows furrowed with sincerity as my friend's sweet daughter led them in a prayer to accept Jesus into their hearts! It was so precious and one of the most beautiful things I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
I.J. has never forgotten that moment. He has reminded us over and over that Jesus is in his heart. McLaine, in her way, has too.
We have asked I.J. several times over the last few years, he is now eight, if he wanted to get baptized. His answer was always, I'm not old enough. Or its not for kids. He just did not believe us when we told him he could get baptized. He would say, "Oh, I'm getting baptized.. but when I am old enough". McKenna got baptized on Easter Sunday in 2008. We asked I.J. and McLaine if they wanted to get baptized. McLaine is too shy, we are going to have to do this in a more private setting and I.J. said again, he was not old enough.
Well, a couple of weeks ago a friend of his, the same age and his sister, the same age as McLaine both got baptized! I.J. was excited about it. He was so surprised that a friend his age was getting baptized! He went to the front of the church where his friend was and watched. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the look he had on his face while he watched. He clapped when his friend came up and cheered out loud! He was so excited for his friend. He came back to us and asked how old his friend was. He knew his friend was the same age but was "processing" the whole thing. We just kept telling him, see? See? You're not too young. You can do that too. Well, now he believed us!
It isn't going to happen this Sunday, but it will soon!!!
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment