It was the kids' Field Day the other day. During their lunch time I signed them out of school and ran up to the Taco Bells. We go there LOTS because of the .89 cent Five Layer Burrito. McKenna and I.J. eat them, except I.J.'s is actually four layers because I have to order his without the beans... anyway... This particular Taco Bells has a Pizza Huts in it. Now, if anyone is wondering, this is a different Taco Bells than that Taco Bells... because of what happened last time we were at the Taco Bells. Yuck! And this one was right by the kids' school... anyway...
I pulled up, ordered the usual Taco Bells order which is a Five Layer Burrito and a Five Layer Burrito without the beans. I also got to order the Cheese Personal Pan Pizza Combo thingy for McLaine, she was thrilled cuz she doesn't like the Taco Bells. We pulled around elated. I handed the lady my debit card. Waited... turned the tunes on... waited. Visited with my teenager in the front seat, waited some more. I thought the order was taking a little longer than usual but didn't mind because of the "Special Order" i.e. the Burrito without the beans and thought well, it takes a while for a Personal Pan Pizza. Then the lady opens the window she hands me my bag of warm burrito goodness and Pizza Huts bag and drink. She then said, "we're gonna need you to pull around." "Is there a problem with my card" I asked. "No." she replied. "Its our machine, its down". I sat there for a few seconds with a million conversations going through my head, with my mouth open. I must have looked like an idiot. She said, "We need you to wait until the machine is working"... ... ... ... ... again, I was runnin' over the conversations in my head. I said, "Soooo, I need to wait?" She didn't say anything. She was obviously very uncomfortable with this conversation. I could hear someone talking to her out of my view. She then kinda, well... did, roll her eyes a bit. "Yeah, we're gonna need you to wait until the machine is fixed."
"Well, how long will that take?"
"I don't know."
Again, I could hear some guy talking loudly to her out of my area of vision.
"Yeah, I'm gonna need to talk to that guy."
His head popped out from around the corner and as he was already talking loudly and is telling me, "We need you to pull around and wait until the machine goes back up."
I just looked at him.
"Its because of the size of your order... unless you have cash."
Now, remember... I ordered two .89 cent burritos and a personal pan cheese pizza. My order was less than six dollars. I never considered myself a high roller, before but by the way he was talking to me...
I finally mustered some courage and asked him how long was this gonna take? I don't know was all I got back.
I did not have cash. "No, I have my debit card". The drive thru beeps were beeping, there was a line of cars behind me, the girl was still talking about how they were "just gon' throw it away anyhow", she was embarrassed and the guy looked exasperated, I kinda felt sorry for him. But I was NOT gonna leave the kids' lunch OR wait for an unknown amount of time. He and I both knew what was supposed to be said... by him.
Finally after what seemed like an eternity, he said just go.
I thanked him and went on my way.
I went over it my mind again and though it was awkward, I think it ended right. When I told Ira about it when we got back to the school, his brow scowled. "He probably had to pay for it out of his own pocket".
"But I didn't have any cash!" I felt horrible. And now my husband was disappointed. Ugh!
Do you know that Ira left right then and there and paid for it in cash???
I love that man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment