Tuesday, March 11, 2008

_ _ _ In The City

Well, I have been watching the show for the FIRST time on TBS. I DVR'd it and have watched it at night when the kids are in bed. I thought it would be more appropriate to watch because it was on, you know, regular TV. Well, there is a lot left out, but it is still pretty racy. For me anyway.

I watch these women who wonder about men and shoes. They talk about men like they are children and dating like it is a game. A game they suck at. Even the strong Samantha character who is extremely sexual and doesn't "need a man for anything in her personal life" deep down really wants to be loved. She is just hiding from the truth. Telling herself that she doesn't need something that she really wants. In fact that's what the whole show is about.

Is that what people do? I mean all of us? Tell ourselves we don't need something we in fact really do? Something like Christ's love? His complete, life-changing, I'll-never-be-the-same kind of love? Pride. It's a mean one, isn't it?

I am unbelievably up to episode 70-something and have FINALLY decided to stop watching it. I can't believe I lasted this long. I only did because everyone loved the show so much and there's a movie coming and I wanted to be like everyone else. Isn't that horrible? The TV version is NOT okay for regular TV. I mean, what's the use of blocking the words we all can read the lips of so well? The meaning is still there in our minds subliminally. I don't care who likes it and what it did for fashion and New York... It's still not something I want to be watching when Jesus comes back.

That's what a Sunday School teacher said to me once that I'll never forget. "Is that what you want to be doing when Jesus comes back?"

Nope.

It's over. Carrie is not adorable to me. Charlotte is not perfect. Samantha is sickening but Miranda, oh! She irritates me the most. I don't even want to waste my space by telling you why.

I'm usually way behind on "the times" like this anyway. I still have not watched the Friends show enough to know about any of it when people talk about it. I mean, I've watched enough to know who is who, but that's it. And I do know the words to Smelly Cat, but that's pretty much it.

Let's not forget people that I worked the night shift for a hospital for 10 years. So when people are talkin' about Friends, I'm thinking about people I want over for lunch. Because I didn't watch it. In fact, the last TV show that I seriously watched before I started working nights was Mad About You. When I stopped working, I was stuck watching cartoons and or no TV was on.

When I see shows like this, I think about people who live like that, really. The shows are not funny to me because I can't help but keep thinking, "oh that poor girl, she's so lost" and "that poor guy, he's so lost".

I did enjoy Carrie's hairstyles. I did enjoy the way Charlotte dressed. I thought Steve was adorable. That's it.

Sorry, but a big disappointment for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally never really watched the show, but I think what draws people to it is the relationship aspect..I think so many people (women especially) are crying out for friendships like those girls seem to have. It feels real to them.

I enjoy your thoughts though!!!