Saturday, January 12, 2008

Honesty, Truckstops, and Big Underwears

Okay, so, over at Connie's Smockity Frocks is a charming little blog abOUt her three year old's honesty. (I am so able to do this now :o)

You know me, I just haaaaad to put in my little two cents worth.

So, as you know we recently came home from Phoenix, Arizona. When you are on a long state to state drive as we ALL know you must stop at your lovely convenient truck stop for bathroom break and gasoline and snack items, right? Right.

Well, at this particular truck stop stop IJ and I both had to "go". So we rush in and go into the ladies restroom. He hates this because I will NOT let him go into a bathroom by himself, let alone truck stops! (Another day, another blog)

Anywho...

When we walked into the ladies room there was a lady standing at the sink brushing her teeth and freshening up from her obviOUs long drive as well. WithOUt even giving it a thOUght I push open a bathroom stall door and direct IJ in there. I stand there on the OUtside and hold the door and wait until he "goes". I hear the flush and I open the door. Then the dilemma. Do I leave him OUt there with the "stranger" while I go? NOPE. So (because I REALLY had to "go") push him (gently) back into the stall he was starting to walk OUt of and just proceeded to take care of my business.

IJ is five years old. He has walked in on me using the restroom at home many times. We all know that we don't really get to by OUrselves anyway, right? Most of the time I shoo him OUt, sometimes conversation absolutely must take place or a nose must be wiped. I have even been known to swat some one's bottom while I am sitting on mine on the "throne". I can multitask y'all. What I am saying is, to us, he's still young, I am covered, it's NO BIG DEAL, right? Right.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I took the opportunity at this truck stop to change my clothes.

So, while he is standing there, facing the door, he is holding my clothes. I quickly change, give him the dirties quickly and turn arOUnd and start to put paper on the seat, because it IS a truck stop. I don't care if the cleaning lady WAS walking OUt of the bathroom as we were walkin' in. I am puttin' paper on that seat!!! Just as my momma taught me!

So, when I turn arOUnd he is standing there. Looking. Rather than make a big deal, I quickly sit down. I am trying very hard to make this as simple as it was. I DO NOT want comments about how I shOUld not have done that or this or whatever. There was a stranger in bathroom at the sink people. I did what I had to do and I had to go BAD and I was moving quickly, okay? Okay.

So, I quickly sit down and start to go tinkle. He says...

"Mommy, you sure have a big bottom."

I just look at him.
My first instinct is to pop off something smart and say, "well, thanks a lot." or "what are you lookin' at?" or well, anything rude, right back. But I didn't. I just was sittin'... REALLY hopin' that the lady at the sink can't hear the words from my precious boy, yeah right. I hear her snicker.

I just kinda glared at him. He then says, "Well, yOU do." Flutters his pretty long lashes and raises his shOUlders in the whole, well, you do kind of way. ARGH!

I say, in a hushed tone, "okay, okay" and I am putting my finger over my lips and giving him the hush signal. I then take the dirty clothes out of his arms and start to fold them.

Then lovely and precious says, "Mommy, you have BIIIIIIG underwears."

Again, I glare...

"Well, yOU do."

I say, "thanks a lot IJ."

Well, you do, shush, blah, blah, blah...

And again I hear her snicker... I was soooo embarrassed.

Honesty... yep.

I wasn't gonna share that one, but, well, why not... I guess. It was funny, right?

5 comments:

Smockity Frocks said...

Hahahahahaha! Those sweet little cherubs - gotta love 'em!

Lene said...

Hi -I have been reading your blog - I got the link from Smockityfrocks. Thanks for the laugh today. :) I once told my 3 year old not to say out loud in the bathroom what color my underwear was - so she very kindly waited until we were back in the store to announce to the world that I had blue underwear. I'm learning to be VERY specific. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful that God makes them so beautiful? That seems to take away some of the sting... a little. ;-)

Jenn said...

yes, truthful cherubs, wouldn't have it any other way...
:0)

lene! welcome!! glad you enjoyed yourself. come back now, ya hear?

michelle hollar... well, i almost forgot the sound of the typekeys! it's so nice to "hear" from you too!!!

Wezie said...

Girl, I am rollin' in the laughter over here! I had a mental movie of the whole thing going on in my head.... LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

(my kids called them underwearS too)