Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My First Time For Works For Me Wednesday



Okay, what do you do with 3 large leftover pizzas? Leftover pizza? Who has leftover pizza when you have three kids and a pizza-lovin' hubby? We do.

Okay, so the story is long, but we have three large everything pizzas. My kids DO NOT eat "everything pizza". My kids don't even eat pepperoni. My husband and I have had pizza for lunch for three days and still have four large Ziploc bags left of pizza. And for those of you who'd say, put it in the freezer... fahgedaboudit. Heated up, once fresh, now frozen pizza... NOT a fan. Did I mention to you that I am SICK of pizza? Well, I am.

I canNOT, I tell you, NOT stand for ANYTHING to go bad in the fridge. I feel like I might as well be lining my trashcans with dollar bills instead of bags. So I always try to come up with something for leftovers. I am normally 100% successful. Leftover pizza? No clues. I googled leftover pizza recipes, I found a recipe for pizza and eggs. Nope.

So I got out the skillet, started warming it up... it smelled so good. But then when the little ones started coming around, "oh mommy, not pizza again" and they said "again" melodically. You know the "ain" part goes up and down and up and down. Sadness filled the house. Hubby came to the stove. Hubby does not EVER complain about my cooking, in fact he is a fan. But to my horror, he kind of frowned and then looked at me and raised his eyebrows and tried to do one of those smiles and make the frown "not there". My heart sank. He said, "I'm sure whatever you make will be fine."

Fine? Fine?! Fine???!!!

So my mind started racing. I flipped on the oven. I then got out the baking dish (when all else fails a casserole), went to the pantry pulled out a jar of spaghetti sauce, got the kitchen scissors and some tongs. I started cutting up the pizza and let the pieces fall into the baking dish. Just randomly cutting it up in smaller than bite size pieces. All of it. Every last Ziploc bagful. I dumped the spaghetti sauce over it, covered it completely in shredded mozzarella, put it in the oven and sat down. I made my peace with the pizza. If they like it, great, if they don't... oh well, it would have wasted anyway.

THEY LOVED IT!

"Mommy, what is this?"

"Mommy, you're the best chef!"

"What's this called?"

I call it:

PIZZA LASAGNA

They ate every bit. Even the "green" vegetables that would have been pulled off had I simply heated it up and put it on their plate.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... victory, sweet victory. You are once again MINE.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

sounds very yummy.....will have to remember that trick!! as a single gal, I often end up with more pizza than I really want, though I get strong cravings often the leftovers are never quite the same.