Saturday, November 24, 2007

King Ranch Chicken/Chicken Enchilada Casserole = Same Yummy Goodness!

Oh precious! And lovely! Are my children that ask for "chicken and cheese". Yes, that is what they call it. Well, the oldest calls it Chicken Enchilada Casserole which is what I was raised to call it. I did not even know of "King Ranch Chicken" until I was in my 30's and I was all, "Hey! That's my mom's Chicken Enchilada Casserole!"

Well, kinda... my version is much easier than hers. I have had to condense and re-do it a little to make it in a crock pot version which I do in the summer and a regular oven baked version which I will be doing TA-DAY! Only today's version is with leftover turkey meat goodness. My recipe says chicken below, but I will be substituting with the lovely leftover turkey meat. You may do the same! So come along... join us!

When I get out the ingredients and set them on the counter, they yell, "WOOOOO HOOOOO!" They dance in the center of the kitchen, the greatest dog in the world gets excited and wags his tail and smiles, yes SMILES in agreement. Hubby comes to listen to the merriment. Yes! It is a warm chicken and gooey, oooey, warm cheese, little kick of spice on the tongue and back of your throat goodness DANCE!!! The room is filled with most urgent anticipation as hopeful tongues and tummies sing! :o)

Yes, my family version is not as spicy as I would personally like it but this is my family's version. Too spicy only scares them away. Why would I want to scare them away from Tex-Mex? Oh, No WAY, honey, NO Stinkin' WAY!!!

Chicken Enchilada Casserole (My Way, The E Z Way)

1 large can cream of chicken soup
3 large cans of chicken breast/drained
2 cups frozen corn
1 can Rotel (mild)
2 cups shredded cheese (pepper jack, cheddar or monterrey jack or even a combination of all of the above :o)
3 cups crushed corn chips
some whole corn chips to decorate the baking dish
1 teaspoon cumin
pepper to taste
additional shredded cheese to put on top to bake bubbly and golden-gooey (oh my mouth it is a'waterin')

Combine all ingredients (except the topping cheese) in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Dump into your baking dish. Cover it with that extra cheese that has been patiently waiting there on the side. Decorate the circumference of the dish with whole corn chips to make it pretty. Bake it for approximately 25 minutes at 350. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top. OOOOH Papa MOWWOW!

1 comment: